Requests for Information or Reports


Individuals wishing to request information under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection Personal Privacy Act must do so in person at the Timmins Police Service by providing one piece of identification (must include full name, date of birth, photograph and signature), the application fee and the following completed form:

All requests must include the requestor’s name, full address, date of birth and telephone number.  The request must identify the specific record(s) being sought and provide sufficient details to enable an employee to identify and locate the record(s).

A mandatory $5.00 application fee (cash or debit) must accompany all requests.  The processing of this request will not begin until this fee has been received.  In addition to the application fee, there is a legislated fee schedule for every hour of manual search required to locate a record, preparing the record for disclosure, computer and other costs incurred in locating, retrieving, processing and copying a record, shipping costs and other costs incurred in responding to a request for a record:

Personal Records – (Personal information recorded about an identifiable individual.  Not publicly accessible and can only be requested by the individual in question)


$10.00/disk for electronic documentation

General Records – (Any record relating to the operation or administration of the Timmins Police Service that does not contain personal information.)

$30.00/hour search and preparation


$10.00/disk for electronic documentation



General Occurrence Reports – $45.00

If you require a copy of a police report, you may submit your request to Customer Service by filling in a report request with payment of $45.00 and providing one piece of identification (must include full name, date of birth, photograph and signature).  If you wish to make a request on behalf of another person, we require signed consent from that individual and proof and evidence that you are a person authorized to make a request.

Motor Vehicle Collision Reports – $45.00

Motor Vehicle Collision Reports are available to those directly involved in the collision which includes but is not limited to drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, property owners and vehicle owners.  The requestor will be given a copy of the front of the report.  This request can be made in person at Customer Service by completing the Request Form, providing payment of $45.00 and identification.



Will my name as the requestor be disclosed?

Your name will only be disclosed if you give permission for disclosure.

I can’t recall the exact details of the information that I am looking for. Can I still make a request?

Provide as many details as you can in your form and we will search for the records accordingly. You may be contacted for further details/clarification in order to assist with the search.

Are there additional fees?

There may be additional fees such as search, preparation and shipping fees. If you wish to have an estimate, contact the Timmins Police Service.

How long does a request take?

A request may take up to 30 days to process depending on the scope of the information requested.

Why does it take that long?

A request that requires us to contact other involved parties generally takes longer to process. It also depends on the number of records you have requested.

What do I do if I need the report sooner than that?

Where a report is needed sooner, this information can be conveyed to us and where possible will be accommodated.

Will I get the complete report?

This depends on what is being requested and if the release of information would be deemed an invasion of another individual’s personal privacy. It would be reasonable to expect some information would be blacked out; however, this is only done in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

What kind of payment do you accept?

You may pay by cash, debit, certified cheque or money order. If paying by cheque or money order, please make your cheque payable to the “Timmins Police Service.”

Can my lawyer get the report for me?

Yes, your lawyer may act as your personal agent and apply for access, however, the same access rules apply and a signed consent form must be included with the request.