The Timmins Police Service has charged a local man with a number of Criminal Code offences stemming from an assaultive altercation that occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, July 8th in the South Porcupine area.
The Timmins Police Service responded to a complaint regarding a male suspect who was the fare of a local taxi driver on Hwy 101 east of Schumacher.
Prior to reaching the intended destination, the male suspect began to choke the driver from behind while demanding money.
The taxi driver managed to bring the vehicle to a stop and flee from the taxi.
The male suspect then took to the driver’s seat and fled the scene in the stolen taxi.
The stolen taxi and the male suspect were located on Golden Avenue in South Porcupine by responding Timmins Police officers minutes later.
The man exited the taxi and displayed obvious signs of impairment as he proceeded to damage the driver’s cell phone and the ignition key of the vehicle.
The male party was eventually arrested by the Timmins Police officer without further incident.
Based on the outcome of the investigation, William “Willie” WAPACHEE, 24, of Timmins, has been charged with:
– Robbery contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
– Mischief Under $5000 contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
– Theft of Motor Vehicle contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
– Operate Motor Vehicle While Impaired contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
– Operate Motor Vehicle – Concentration Exceeding 80 mgs of Alcohol per 100 mls of Blood contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
The accused remains in police custody awaiting a bail hearing slated for Monday, July 13th at Provincial Court in Timmins to answer to the charges laid against him.